It happened about 7 years ago.
I was likely going through some kind of midlife crisis, life felt quite stagnant, and I was in desperate need of change.
What do people do in such situations?
First, I tried to shop my problems away. However, as for most people, “retail therapy” only briefly helped. It just wasn’t enough. So, next I went to the hairdresser to completely change my hairstyle.
I don’t remember what haircut or colour I got at that time, but I do remember the life-changing event that happened to me while waiting at the salon.
I was quickly scanning through the magazines when I ran into an article titled: “Perfect Detox in 7 Days: Do You Want To Recharge and Feel Like New?”. Of course, this was exactly what I wanted! I was so intrigued by the detox, that I was able to overcome my doubts (“What if I fail and my self-esteem gets even worse?” What if I’ll react in a weird way? What if I find out I don’t like veggies as much as I thought I do?).
Pushing all doubts aside, I just decided to go for it!
Here are some daily snapshots of my thoughts as I climbed into this uncharted territory:
Excitement: “I am doing it!”. Not hungry at all, love the veggies! Best sleep ever.
Minor headache, some tiredness. Still like the veggies; maybe I’ll have soup for dinner instead of the same lunch veggies. That would be nice variety. Still sleeping great.
I feel a lot better, headache is gone, energy is back! Did I say I liked veggies before? Hmm… Not so sure…
I am flying! Feel light, but with so much energy! I thought I loved sweet potatoes… Never imagined they can be that disgusting. Lost 2 pounds. Great sleep.
Feel great physically and mentally. In an amazing mood! However, the food is starting to get to me. I cannot think about another steamed dinner. Seriously.
End of Day Five: It’s the weekend. I’ve had to make the conscious decision to stop; I feel the weekend is ideal to allow myself to shake up the routine by enjoying some healthy non-detox food, and to prepare my healthy menu for next week.
Overall: It was a great experience. I felt light, full of energy, recharged, my body felt clean and renewed, and I was proud of myself for diving right in and doing it! However, I felt that the whole experience could be greatly improved.
I came to the conclusion that I definitely wanted to try this again.
…But would I do it the same way it was originally presented?
Soon after my first detox experience, I decided to pursue a career as a Registered Holistic Nutritionist. I went back to school at Canadian School of Natural Nutrition, and learned a lot about a holistic approach to a healthy lifestyle with a focus on body detox. I have researched many detox programs and devised one that was best tailored to my needs.
I’m sharing with you the key findings that changed my detox program from good to great (and continuously evolving, thanks to constant participants’ feedback, and my continuous research):
- The weekend is just not a good time to observe a detox. 5 days is the perfect time!
- Baked veggies are just as healthy as steamed veggies, with the key advantage being that they just taste so much better.
- Variety is the key. Having same lunch and dinner for 2 days in a row is not a great idea.
- It’s so very beneficial to reveal your cravings to yourself; “Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster” – Sun Tzu
- Mild exercise every day like light jogging, yoga or swimming is crucial.
- Planning, planning and planning. If planned well, you only need to cook twice a week with some minor additional cooking.
- It’s great to have some support, and not to be all on your own (That’s why my detox has a growing online group, sharing pictures and daily stories and having fun together!)
- Extend healthy eating habits beyond your five days of detox! I gained some new habits like drinking lemon water first thing in the morning, and having some delicious fruit before breakfast! Lemon water is good for the liver and supports healthy digestion. Fruit is recommended to eat alone, and having it 30 minutes before breakfast gives you needed energy, and also helps with digestion!
Based on a lot of research and experience, I have created my own detox program that is more effective and fun.
As I wanted to involve people from all over the world, I have built a facebook group called ”GoldeNature Detox Week” . As a group, we detox together twice a year during Spring and Fall seasons .
If you want to give it a try, I am happy to invite you to join my GoldeNature Detox Week group. Enjoy the experience, get healthy, and have fun!.